University of Mississippi


Frequently Asked Questions – LIBA 102

Here are some of our most frequently asked questions about LIBA 102. If you have a question that is not answered here, please click “Contact Us,” above, and send us a message.  Someone will respond promptly to your inquiry.

Which course requires more work/writing, WRIT 102 or LIBA 102?

While the specific amount of work that is assigned in any class is up to each individual instructor, the general guidelines for the amount and type of work done in each class are the same.

What requirements do LIBA 102 and WRIT 102 fulfill?

Either course fulfills the second sequence of the core first-year composition requirements.

Is there a common textbook required for LIBA 102 courses?

All courses use the handbook,A Writer’s Reference Ole Miss edition; additional books are at the discretion of the instructor, although supplementary texts should be identified in the course proposal.

What are the differences between WRIT 102 and LIBA 102?

WRIT 102 courses are theme-based (Food, Literature, Business, Environment, and Pop Culture) and are taught by either CWR faculty, adjunct instructors, and graduate student instructors. LIBA 102 courses are designed around a research interest by an established disciplinary expert. Some LIBA 102 instructors are professors from the Ole Miss academic community, while others are professors or artists from other colleges or universities or from a specific disciplinary field.